Album Review: SunDream – Photosynthesis

7/01/2010 01:33:00 PM / Posted by Iron Lung /

SunDream is WanderLust Dream on production and 7th Sun and Low Key providing the vocals.

Photosynthesis has a very West Coast summertime feel. The overall message of the record is very uplifting and maintains its sustenance throughout the entire album. The intro was a bit confusing to me because of the styles mixed but I found myself ignoring what was said and just vibing the beat. "Laws of Nature" and "Sacred Plants" (which seems to contain a part of a verse that was intended for a failed Iron Lung collab) are both very strong songs and represent the main idea of the album well, the mixture of both emcees blends well in those tracks and are will more than likely make you want to blast your system. "Bills" is a good transition to the self-explanatory "Summer Jam" which made me feel like going outside and hugging nature. There were only a few let down songs, but that could be due to my distaste for auto-tune in hip hop music, for example "Star Seed" seemed to insist upon itself. However, "Living Water" brings the album right back on track, I loved the beat for this song and the lyrics where on point.

Again, despite the auto tuned vocals in the middle of the track, "Stormy Weather" works well. The beat is very well made and 7th Sun and Low Key's voices fit it well. "Change the Frequency" is pretty awesome. The small spoken word section near the end of the song is what did it for me and the auto tune actually does makes sense for this track given its title and content. As for "Abduction"; I just didn't seem to get. I couldn't get into it until about 2:40 when the beat changes up, I guess when can put it in the let down section for me. "Lights in the Sky" is an incredibly good track. 7th Sun's faster delivery sits nice next to the acoustic guitar breaks and the Low Key coming back into the song. It's definitely one of the bangers on this album and had me back to higher volumes. "Healing Energy" kept me listening at max volume. The beginning of the track got my head bobbing and I was set. My only issue is I think it might have been a track better suited just for 7th Sun by himself. Wanderlust's producing has evolved again, I found myself repeating this track just to listen to more of the beat. I heard a small Dub Step style bass in the background and I was hooked. The album's closer "Clear Skies" is a good selection to end it all on. The beat is a mixture of a chilled out tone and upbeat synths. The two emcees gave the track plenty of space to breath which lets the listener really appreciate the sounds capping off the album.

Overall, Photosynthesis is a well thought out concept album that exudes summer, nature, and an overall good vibe. 7th Sun and Wanderlust always make a good combination and the addition of Low Key adds to the relaxed feel of it all. Despite the auto tune and just 2 tracks I would more than likely skip on future listens, this is one album that will stay in my car for the entire summer. Somehow, this album reminds me of the very first Atmosphere album with Slug and MC Spawn, "Overcast!" maybe in the way that I look forward to hearing what the next evolution of SunDream will sound like.

0 comments:

Post a Comment